Monday, March 31, 2014

Slipping through my fingers...

While watching Meryl Streep in Mamma Mia I was taken aback about how emotional I got when she sang "Slipping through my fingers." Jeez!
I've been reading friends' posts on Facebook all week stating things like: "It's wonderful to have them all home from school" or "He's back...and it's great to have him" or "I love hearing all of the sibs squabbling over the bathroom, now that our eldest is home" or "It's great to have all of the sisters under one roof"...
And as I read them I can totally relate, I've blogged about how great it is to have everyone under one roof together at the same time.  But this summer is proving to be a bit different and I know this is indicative of what is to become our experience as parents, most of the time. When our twenty somethings (Gen Y) come home to visit, it's one at a time. Sometimes there are some cross overs of schedules and there are two sibs or maybe even three at a time, but what's been happening thus far, is one at a time.
It's nice! Different...but nice. It's really a treat getting to know these young people as their own person as they've been growing and experiencing new things, their excitement over what they've been learning (either in the classroom or in their lives), their observations about life, about their relationships and the changes they're experiencing with them...it's great.
But I've got to be honest, it makes me a wee bit melancholy...maybe it's because we've got two weddings this weekend, both of dear friends' kids, our kids' friends...life is a-changin'.
They really are...
"slipping through my fingers all the time,
I try to capture every minute, the feeling in it....
sometimes I wish that I could freeze the picture and save it from the funny tricks of time.
Do I really see what's in her mind
Each time I think I'm close to knowing
She keeps on growing
Slipping through my fingers all the time!"
"I'm glad whenever I can share her laughter!"
~Beppie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails