Monday, March 31, 2014

Bridal Shower West

Last weekend my oldest and dearest friend (and Godmother of the bride) threw a bridal shower for our daughter on the west coast. It's been a long time since I've given much thought to bridal showers, but I must say, this shower was magical!
What made it so special? A Bridal Shower traditionally includes friends, family and bridal party members, all female. Well, this was exactly that. What I didn't realize and what my girlfriend did so beautifully was "connect the dots" of all those present: How they fit into the bride's life, how they were significant or important. She first welcomed everyone, highlighting the presence of Brett's grandmother and how very lucky she was to have her and to be a part of this experience. She highlighted the other aunts present, the mother of the groom for making the trip and each long time friend of mine from college or single-in-my-San-Francisco days, or mothers from Brett's elementary school days that are all still dear friends. 
Different women stood up and shared thoughts and toasts of best wishes, expounding on the whys and the wherefores of their significance in Brett's young life. One friend shared that if it wasn't for Brett's 1yr. old birthday party, she wouldn't be married to her husband! (They were connected by a mutual friend at Brett's b'day party, a cocktail party, no bouncy castles for her!) Another friend shared that her close friendship with me had been enhanced by the fact that we were now mothers together, going through experiences and learning from each other (sometimes at our children's expense)...the words of kindness and good thoughts continued, memories of my own Mom were exponential!
I knew that the marriage of my eldest and only daughter was going to be something, but never in my wildest dreams did I think it would be a mixture of laughter and tears at the same time! (I just LOVE that emotion!) These long time friendships and family truly have helped lay the foundation of our children's lives. They simply wouldn't be the people they are today if it wasn't for the many influences of all of these very special people in our lives! We are so very blessed!
A lovely table 
The bride-to-be and two of her (west coast) bridesmaids 
~Beppie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails