Sunday, April 26, 2009

Quick college acceptance update:

Interesting...
For years our high school posted "the list". The list of students and the colleges they decided to go to, this evolved into a giant map of the US with push pins in spots marked with names of the colleges and the kids attending them. The map was in the entry hall...then moved to the guidance office hall, then inside the office, then...
That stopped. Initiated by adults. The thinking was that this was "too much", too difficult for the kids, too stressful for the kids at an already stressful time... We adults know best, was the thinking...

Fast forward....
Over the last few years the seniors in our high school (as in others across the country) have brought their rejection letters into school and posted them on bulletin boards in school....they've "dubbed" this the "wall of shame." Initially, many parents were uncomfortable about this, some were horrified, but the kids' won and there it stands. The thinking there, as explained by several "posters", "misery loves company", you can't take this personally, everyone goes through it ...

Today...
This year's senior class has decided to to something different...they've posted "the list" on Facebook! More and more join everyday. If you go on Facebook and look for Groups, there are numerous groups that have popped up in the last two weeks of different senior classes across the country and their "list." What do the adults think? Clearly the kids don't care, this is their domain, their world, their decisions... and it's "out there"...

We as adults felt more and more uncomfortable with "the list" being posted within the privacy of our own schools' walls, never mind publishing the list somewhere! But our kids have no problem putting it out there for all to see.... interesting ...

What do you think???

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think a letter of rejection posted on a wall is refreshingly transparent. There's no hidden shame. There's no fear about 'that question: have you found out yet?' I think for the kids who've decided to post are saying 'hey look it, I didn't make it, but I'm not ashamed. And I'm sure I'll find a place that's suited to me.'

I find it refreshingly honest and the act, I think, might even encourage a group support by those kids.

But on the flip side, if it acts as a device for someone to torment or harass a student for 'underachieving' then I think it's wrong.

But let's see how it plays out.

awb said...

I have 2 children born in that range, they don't see anything wrong with posting everything on Facebook. I think you can trace it back to what you called in your title, "Everyone's a winner", participation trophies. I didn't win, but I got this show for it. Drives me crazy, but I'm old!

Andy

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails